Turmeric – the health promoting golden spice we all associate with curry. It is a member of the ginger family and extensively cultivated in India, China, Indonesia, and other tropical countries.
Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has strong anti-inflammatory effects and promotes healthy digestion. This magical spice has several scientifically proven health benefits, such as the potential to prevent heart disease, powerful antioxidant properties and may also help improve symptoms of depression and arthritis.
Unfortunately, curcumin is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream. It helps to consume black pepper with it, which contains a compound called piperine, a natural substance that enhances the absorption of curcumin.
Remember, everything turmeric touches turns into gold(en) ‘stains’. Luckily the health benefits overcrowd any golden stains. Nothing a bit of water and vinegar soak can’t fix.
- Be careful, fresh or even ground turmeric will stain about everything, so put on some rubber gloves to protect your hands from turning yellow.
- For a more substantial and creamy smoothie add some banana.
- 1 cup pineapple cut into chunks
- 5ml turmeric powder, or freshly grated turmeric
- 10ml chia seeds
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 cup of water
- Dash of black pepper
Let’s get started:
- Blend all the ingredients together and enjoy!
Tried this recipe? Please share your experience, variations or results in the comments below!