This carrot and tahini salad looks like sunshine in a bowl. It’s a combination of some tang, some sweetness, and that perfect amount of creaminess. Full of goodness and really easy to prepare. Delicious as a side dish but also perfect as a main, just add enough chickpeas.
Carrots are powerhouse veggies and packed with plenty of vitamins and minerals. This special root vegetable is known to help improve eyesight, lower cholesterol, boost immunity, and aid in digestive health, amongst many other things!
In the recipe below I have included instructions on how to make your own roasted chickpeas, but since I discovered Grumpy crunchy dry roasted chickpeas, I no longer do it myself. They are delicious and made with all-natural ingredients. Definitely nothing grumpy about them.
- The chickpeas should be dried completely before mixed with olive oil and spices.
- Subtitude raisins, or get creative with other dried fruits like apricots or dates.
- Add chopped fresh pineapple.
- For more crunch add toasted cashews or slivered almonds.
- 1 can chickpeas or 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1⁄4 cup tahini
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 60ml – 100ml water to thin if necessary
- 3 cups shredded carrots (about 3 – 4 medium sized carrots)
- 1⁄2 small red onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Let’s get started:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Toss the chickpeas with the oil, spices, salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until lightly browned and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Shake the pan several times throughout baking. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. (you can do this either by hand or blender)
- Add water if dressing in too thick.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the shredded carrots, onion, raisins and parsley with the dressing.
- Mix well.
- Add roasted chickpeas right before serving to ensure they stay crispy.
- Enjoy the bright sunshine bowl.
Tried this recipe? Please share your experience, variations or results in the comments below!